OneDrive MIGRATION GUIDE
1. OneDrive migration with Cloudiway
2. OneDrive migration scope
4. OneDrive Migration User List
4.2. Import or create your users into the Cloudiway platform
In order to migrate permissions associated with every file migrated, you can upload your list of users. There are a number of ways. These include:
- CSV file import.
- Cloudiway’s mailbox discover tool (Get List).
- Create a single user.
Regardless, each user will need to be assigned a license type — Trial (limited to 100 MB), or Standard. The Cloudiway platform queries your user list (mapping table) when migrating each file so that the correct permissions can be migrated too. It’s therefore important that your user list is fully complete before starting any migration.
Option 1: CSV file import
A sample CSV file is available for download during the steps outlined below.
1.Ensure you’re still in the File Migration area of portal.cloudiway.com and go to Files > User List
2. Click on Manage on the action bar and select Import
3. If required, click on Download sample CSV and add your users to the CSV file.
4. When you have a complete CSV file with the correct headers, click on the BROWSE button.
5. Locate your CSV file within your own file system, and select it.
6. Select the appropriate connectors in the Source and Target fields
7. Click on the UPLOAD button
If you see any error messages, check your CSV file, and try uploading again.
8. Once the CSV file format is correct, you will see a confirmation message.
Option 2: Get List
Cloudiway’s Get List tool helps you to retrieve users from your source tenant.
Go to Migration, select Get List.
The tool requires you to enter the Source and Target Pool.
Then to specify:
- The Target Recipient Type if it’s Office 365: OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams.
- The Matching Rule:
- Mail Exact Match: the source email = the target email (email@example.com > firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Keep Email Prefix Same as Source: only the domain name changed (email@example.com > firstname.lastname@example.org)
- FirstName.LastName (i.e. email@example.com)
- F.LastName (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- FLastName (i.e. email@example.com)
- LastNameF (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Target Domain.
It will then add new users in the User List. This is an advanced tool that is best used in partnership with Cloudiway consultants.
Note: you can monitor the progress of this task in the User List: Get List Logs.
Option 3: Create a single user
Click on MANAGE > Create User and enter the following details:
If you want to exclude different folders from the migration, enter the folder path.
Note: You don’t need the Folder ID to exclude a folder from OneDrive, you just need to enter the path.
5. OneDrive Migration Global Settings
6. Audit, OneDrive Preprocessing and Migration
6.1. Perform an Audit (Optional)
The audit is optional and purely informative. It consumes the Cloudiway license. You do not have to run it, unless you wish to see how many files and folders you have in the source drive.
Remember, these folders with specific destinations would need to be migrated before the general migration because Cloudiway only migrates a file once. Therefore, any folders with alternative targets will take priority.
- From the User List area, select the users to audit (you can use the checkbox at the top of the list to select all, which we recommend)
2. From the action bar, click on MIGRATION, then Audit, the status change to FileAudit Scheduled
3. Refresh your page and verify the status
4. If there is an error, click on the file Error status, then Logs to see the Error message. Licenses are missing in this case; contact your sales representative or purchase more licenses on the platform, then try again.
5. For updates, you can refresh the page. To watch the results, click on the FileAudit Success status, then Audit
6.2. Perform Preprocessing
Now that your Cloudiway connectors are set up, you can run the preprocessing task. The task can be run more than once if required. When OneDrive is both the source and target, the target admin account must have a valid SharePoint license. Otherwise, the OneDrive’s provisioning cannot proceed. The preprocessing task:
- checks credentials (login details, App ID, App Secret, AppRealm) in the source and target;
- provisions each OneDrive if it doesn’t already exist in the target; and,
- grants permission to the admin user to access each OneDrive in the source and target.
2. From the action bar, click on MIGRATION, then PreProcessing, the status change to FilePreProcessing Scheduled
3. For updates, you can refresh the page, the status should be updated to success
6.3. Activate and monitor your migration
Now that you have performed all the pre-migration steps within your tenants and Cloudiway, you’re ready to migrate. We recommend you run a test migration on a single user first to check that your configuration produces the outcome you expect.
To start your migration, select the users or batch and click on MIGRATION, then Start button. Your batch will be scheduled and will begin as soon as resources are available.
Don’t forget that Cloudiway migration platform supports delta passes and that migrations are therefore incremental; every time you restart the migration, only items that haven’t already been copied to the target — or that have been changed since they were copied to the target — will be migrated.
You can monitor your migration from the dashboard. Detailed article, here.
If you require more information, you can click on any of the files in the User List. You can Edit, see the Audit results, Logs, and Statistics.